giovedì 7 dicembre 2017

Christmas trees and activities for my learners

Arbol Navidad 03

Source: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/85/Arbol_Navidad_03.gif
Public Domain

The origins of Christmas  trees can be found in the past and also in Europe we have a lot of traditions.

The  main traditions  come from Germany but it was with  Queen Victoria  that  the Christmas tree  became a tradition in most British families.
I found this useful page about the history describing  this   tradition :

http://www.history.com/topics/christmas/history-of-christmas-trees

For my  blog created  this year for my  English  language  learners I am going to use  this short video  which will be  given as  listening  activity and  homework to my students:


Since I am teaching in a school of  Art I would like my students  to search  paintings and pictures  about  this  tradition  online.
They could use  the images they have found to describe them and speak about  them.

Here are some nice  paintings which could be described by my  first  year  students:


Christmas-Time, The Blodgett Family MET DT7582

Eastman Johnson [CC0], via Wikimedia Commons


William James Glackens - Christmas Shoppers

By William James Glackens [Public domain or Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons


Carl Larsson Christmas Morning 1894

Carl Larsson [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

The language structures  will be related to descriptions of places and  people. I expect them to tell me  what's happening in the pictures and paintings and I would like  my students to focus on adjectives that might describe what  people might think and how they are feeling. 

It might be interesting to check which images they like and why and how   they chose them.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento