Professional Development for Teachers
From the Europenschoolnetacademy webpage to other platforms we have interesting webinars and courses which can enhance teachers' development: learning online is now part of most of us - life -long learners.
Here are just a few Moocs or courses:
- Collaborative Teaching and Learning
starting on 24th October 2016
- Raising Awareness about the Situation of Newly Arrived migrants starting on 31st October 2016
- Teaching your subject in English starting on 31st October 2016 https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/cambridge-teach-in-english
I have been so impressed by some platforms that I cannot but try to do more courses. Most of these courses have the same framework:
- weekly modules
- a list of sources and shared materials by the teachers
- working on an online activity to be evaluated by peers
- videos and interesting lessons online which can be assessed at anytime of the day
- FB or Twitter chat
- end of course certificates
- badges for the activities students have finished
I really think that Moocs will be the future of education as most of educators are workers and need to work on their self-development and chose when to do it . Every month we can find new ones, some are good quality while others provide educational opportunities to people living in different parts of the world who cannot afford to work and study abroad. In Italy we have started some platforms but I think that the most reliable are still the institutional platforms that can offer many Moocs- Coursera and Edx are really good and they are trying to specialize more......
More links can be found online https://www.mooc-list.com/
Are all the MOOC courses free? Yes, .... but.................in some cases if you want to showcase them you need to pay for the certificate of attendance. Futurelearn can offer free courses but people will always have to pay to get the statement of accomplishment.
I think that we will have to pay for courses online also in the next years: how can universities provide " free courses" to anybody? The cost of running a platform can be high and I have also faced problems with technology as sometimes we had problems with the assessments or they had to extend the time for assessment as the platform was not accessible.
It is not the end of MOOCs but .............we are moving towards a new generation of courses and MOOCs as today people are willing to study from abroad and I think that this is a great business.